Recently, iOS devices have become popular for photo-making and video filming.
If you’re an iPhone or iPad user who frequently captures videos and photos, you may wonder about how to rename a video on iPhone and find it necessary to rename files for organization.
Fortunately, it is possible to rename videos and photos using several methods.
You can follow the steps below if you want to rename a video or a photo using new tricks.
How to rename a video on iPhone in the Photos App?
Unfortunately, the built-in Photos app doesn’t offer a way to rename video file and photo directly.
Nevertheless, if your goal is to quickly locate photos and videos by name within the iPhone Photos app, there is a hidden feature that can help.
Simply follow these steps:
- Open the photo or video you want to rename inside the Photos app.
- Swipe up or tap on the info icon at the right corner of the screen to access additional information.
- Look for the “Add a Caption” text field and enter the new name you want to give to the media file.
- Tap the “Done” or “OK” button to save the new caption.
Once you have added a caption, you can easily locate the video file by searching for the video with an updated file name within the iPhone Photos app. This feature allows you to quickly find the media files you need without having to rename them using a separate process. For more on how the iPhone’s storage system works, see a post Explained: what does indexing mean on iPhone and how does it work?
How to Rename a Video on iPhone Using Third-party Apps?
There are many apps available in the App Store that offer editing videos and management tools, including the ability to rename or delete videos.
Some of the popular editing apps that support renaming include iMovie, InShot, and FilmoraGo.
In this article, we’ll explore how to rename a video using iMovie app as an example.
- To rename a video on iPhone using iMovie, we need to download it from the App Store. If you already have iMovie installed on your iPhone, skip to the next step.
- Once you have installed iMovie, simply open it from the main menu or App Drawer. You may also share a video from the Photos app by tapping on the share icon and choosing iMovie from the share menu.
- In iMovie, simply tap on the three dots icon in the top right corner to locate the projects tab and tap on the video you want to have a new video name for.
- Once you have created a new project, tap on the clip in the timeline in the bottom left corner and select the “Rename” option. Enter a new name and tap “Done” to confirm the changes. You will now have a renamed video in your files.
- Make sure to tap “Save”. Tap on the “Share” button in the upper right corner of the screen to open the share menu in the bottom left corner to save the video to the files.
How to Rename a Video on iPhone Using Your Computer?
You can also rename videos on your PC using iTunes or iCloud.
- The first step in getting a renamed video is to connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Once you have connected your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes or iCloud.
- In iTunes or iCloud, navigate to the folder where your video is stored on your iPhone or search file explorer.
- Right-click on the file and tap “Rename”. Enter a new name for the video file and press enter to save the changes. It will now be renamed with the new name you have chosen. You can also run the ren command in your command line.
- After choosing a new file name, you will need to select “Save” and sync your iPhone to get your video renamed. To do this, click on the “Sync” button.
How to Rename a Video on iPhone Using Files App?
The Files app on an iPhone is a useful tool for managing files and documents stored on the device.
- The first step is to open the Files app on your iPhone.
- Once you have opened the Files app, navigate to the folder where your video is stored. This could be in the “Videos” folder or in a custom folder you have created.
- Once you have located the video file, tap and hold on to the file until a pop-up menu appears.
- From the pop-up menu, tap “Rename”. You will now be able to edit the file name.
- Once you have entered the new name, select “Save” the new name and tap “Done”.
Can you Rename Photos and Videos on iPhone?
Yes, it is possible to rename both photos and videos on an iPhone.
The Files app on iPhone allows you to rename photos and videos in a few simple steps.
Additionally, third-party apps such as iMovie and computers can also be used to rename video files.
How do I Rename a Video in Apple Photos?
If you’re using iOS 16 and want to rename a video, follow these steps:
Select the video that you want to rename.
Tap the info icon located at the bottom of the screen to open the menu.
Tap on the “Add a Caption” bar and type in the new name that you want to use.
Once you have entered the new name, tap “Done” to save the changes.
By following these steps, you can quickly and easily rename any video on iPhone running iOS 16.
The iPhone offers a range of tools and features that make it a great choice for capturing and sharing video and photo content. By following the tips outlined above to rename and edit your photo/video footage, you can create high-quality, engaging photo and video content.