iTunes was – till the latter days – the only way to upgrade your iPhone. But with days passing by this is no longer the case.
iTunes at times cannot spot the correct update, or you see an “unknown” iTunes error during the installation process, failed to download iOS update, or it’s crushed, or you cannot launch iTunes or iTunes automatic updates don’t run, or finally – you simply don’t have iTunes installed for whatever reason.
Though, before giving up on a new iOS update through standard mode (i.e. iTunes), you can always try to restore the iTunes iOS update (at times update iOS freezes on Apple Logo) by going into recovery mode, if this didn’t help – DFU mode.
Recovery mode can be achieved via the following actions:
- Push and swiftly release the volume down button.
- Then, push and keep the side button pushed until you see the recovery mode screen.
- And once it’s reset – your iOS update can be finalized as well.
DFU mode (if the previous step didn’t work out) actions:
- Plug your device into a computer via a USB cable.
- Both the Home button and the Lock button need to be pressed.
- After 8 seconds, let go of the Lock button while continuing to push the Home button.
- Once the device is in DFU mode you won’t notice anything on the screen.
- But if it says to connect your device to iTunes, you need to repeat the above actions.
If all of the described above actions didn’t help with your iOS upgrade, please look for other methods below. Just to re-iterate – we need to update iPhone without iTunes. Besides, at times you need to downgrade your current operating system version. No worries. I will describe several ways to do so.
Update your iPhone without iTunes using Wi-Fi
One note: before any iOS update please take care of turning on your iCloud backup. The path is Settings -> Apple ID -> Your iOS device -> select “iCloud backup”.
Because software update can go badly, I strongly recommend backing up your data, so you may escape unpleasant data loss.
Only after that, you can proceed with update the iOS device to the latest version.
Another note: please make sure your iOS device has enough battery charge or is directly powered up through a cable.
You also should have a sound wi fi connection. To obtain a new iOS version you should follow the below instruction:
- Settings app.
- Tap software update.
- Download iOS updates and install them.
- Choose “Install now” (the blue progress bar should appear).
After the reboot, you will see your iOS devices upgraded without iTunes to the latest iOS.
Additionally, you can read the article “Update software – Apple iPhone 6s Plus“, where there is a step-by-step instruction.
Problems you may encounter after unlucky updating iOS versions without iTunes:
- Quite often your battery loses its battery charge faster. Possible solutions: turn off unused apps; charge your battery within the limits: 30%- 75%; check your apple devices stats – what apps use the most battery charge and try to fix the usage, for instance, turn off GPS service; turn on “Low power mode”; lower screen brightness.
- If you cannot connect to Wi-Fi – restart your iOS device.
- No cellular data – restart your apple device.
- If you cannot get any calls – try airplane mode.
- Your attempt to update iPhone without iTunes failed. Maybe there is not enough space. Try to free up some. Or buy additional storage. Apple offer that in the Storage section. Try again to update iOS to the latest version without iTunes.
- And the most gruesome consequence is data loss. If your iPhone stuck – restore it from your backup. If you skip that step, you may find many data recovery apps among iPhone users’ communities or use any professional third-party tool.
Despite the above – an update iPhone without iTunes 95% of the time is safe.
Update iPhone on computer without iTunes: third-party option
Don’t forget the following “update iPhone tips” I gave earlier.
Many third-party apps render your iPhone software update. Just download one, and follow the instructions. Usually, the installation process is quite straightforward: you download the apps, then install them, download the iOS update, then install iOS updates. And here we are done with the iOS system upgrade without iTunes.
Third-party tools also offer a backup feature. Strongly suggest using it along with the apps. Examples of such tools: AnyFix, iMaster, FoneGeek iOS System Recovery, UltFone, AceThinker iOS System Recovery, and Tenorshare ReiBoot – all of them just a few clicks to install and use.
iOS system upgrades can go wrong, so please read the above heads-up.
iOS update iPhone without iTunes to the latest version using IPSW file
IPSW file simply means iPhone software file. With it, you can update iPhone devices without iTunes. iOS system update can be done manually in this case in and more controllable fashion. Again, a reminder: before updating the iOS version please make sure you have a stable connection to the Internet, and your device is powered on or has enough battery life.
- Go to the IPSW site: https://ipsw.me/.
- Find your iPhone model and download the corresponding firmware file.
- Connect your phone to your MAC computer using a USB cable.
- Launch the file you have just downloaded and update your iPhone on a computer without iTunes.
The beta version of iOS – download without iTunes
- Get the Beta version first. For that please go to https://developer.apple.com/download/. Save it to your PC and then send it to your iPhone (through email or via any other means).
- On your, iPhone runs the file with your linked PC connected. Your iPhone should be on Wi-Fi. Then follow the standard software updates process described earlier: download and install.
Please keep in mind that this version of iOS is for testers only. Not for commercial usage, but this is another case for updating iOS without iTunes. This particular iPhone update is not so simple, but you may get new features not available to others. Update your iPhone with a Beta version to become a Tech savvy person to whom no access to iTunes is not a big deal.
Let me answer a few questions regarding iPhone software version upgrades.
How can I manually update my iPhone software?
You can do that using IPSW files. From the IPSW site, you download and install the file. Using it you can upgrade your iPhone.
Can you update iPhone from any computer?
Yes, if you want to update iPhone without iTunes, please use a reliable third-party product. MAC or Windows – it doesn’t matter. As well as the operation system version.
How to install iOS without using iTunes?
There are a few ways on updating iPhone. One popular and simplest is through Wi-Fi, another one via IPSW file.
How do I update my iPhone iOS from my laptop?
You can update iPhone iOS using an IPSW file, and third-party apps. Just download and install the corresponding file (IPSW) or any tools to update your iPhone.
There are several ways how to update iPhone on computer without iTunes. One is through a wireless connection. Another one is to update iPhone on computer through special trusted solutions from other vendors. A software update in this case can be as easy as the “download and install” process for any app.
Please be aware that you cannot skip certain steps in updating your version of iOS, for instance, if you have a too-old iOS system or too-old iPhone – you cannot simply install the latest iOS version. Please check for that in public Apple resources. Seek something like “xx.x current operating system to the latest iOS version I can update”.
Another warning: iPhone cannot be upgraded to the certain newest version if it’s too old and cannot support it. Find out the latest version of iOS that the iPhone can support and upgrade it to it. Please never interrupt the iPhone iOS update process. It doesn’t matter whether you update iOS without iTunes or with it. It will certainly result in your data loss.
Make sure while you updating iPhone that your Wi-Fi connection is reliable. Don’t forget to turn off the hotspot on your iPhone. Your computer should have another source of Internet connection.
Аny iPhone models can be upgraded, any iOS without iTunes. You have to download & install it either through Wi-Fi or via any third-party reliable tool.